Sunday, August 21, 2011

What makes you happy?

It's been one of those weeks.  Three days of the flu put me behind at work and I didn't feel very productive when I did get there.  I can't say that I was feeling very happy.  Too often, when I am feeling like that, I look to find something that will make me happy, make me feel good.  Often, it's an iced mocha-flavored coffee.  What makes you happy?

Paul admonished the Philippians to rejoice in the Lord always (Phil. 4:4).  Today's English Version reads, "May you always be joyful in your life in the Lord."  I am sure if you have been a Christian for any length of time, you have heard that to be joyful isn't the same thing as being happy.  I feel like, in some ways, that is a cop-out, as though following Jesus isn't supposed to make me happy.  It may be harder to get to that place of actually smiling, but I have plenty to be happy about, even if it isn't always what I turn to make me feel that way?

What is there to rejoice about?  We can rejoice because we have heard the good news.  We can rejoice because we have been delivered from our sin.  We can rejoice because He paid the price for our salvation by dying on the cross and He lives again.  We can rejoice because we can have new life as well as the hope of eternal life in heaven.  There's more.  We can rejoice in the abundant life that we can have here and now.  We can rejoice even in our suffering because God is at work bringing about good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28).  We can rejoice because He has promised that He would always be with us.

Maybe it isn't the same thing as being happy; but I have to say, when I stop to think about it,  I am glad for all the Lord has done for me.  I am happy for all His promises that are true for me today, and for the hope I have in the future.  I just need to remind myself of these things.  What about you?  Are you happy?

If you are happy and you know it...say Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment