Sunday, October 30, 2011

It is finished.

The last phrase is often translated “run with patience,” but seems more appropriately to be translated “bear up courageously.”  It is used throughout the New Testament and is most often associated with suffering for one’s faith.  Paul wrote, “Because I preach the Good News I suffer, and I am even chained…and for this reason I endure everything for the sake of God’s chosen people, in order that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus (II Tim. 2:10-11).”

My son’s cross country coach made a statement about cross country that I had never considered, which might also be said of other races including marathons.  He said that unlike other sports there are no breaks, no timeouts, no half-times, no stoppage of plays.  Once you start the race, you run until it is finished.  Paul wrote to Timothy, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith (II Tim. 4:7).”  In Paul, there was no quit.

To keep running requires endurance.  I have never run a marathon and can only imagine how difficult it is to keep running for that length of time.  I have however been a follower of Christ for over 30 years and it has often felt like an endurance contest.  Along the way, I have seen others who have given up, who found it too hard, that it required too much, that they would rather be doing something else which offered more immediate gratification.  Are we willing to endure everything in order to run the race that has been set out, appointed for us to run?
 
I have been inspired by some of my patients who had to endure chronic pain.  One was a woman who told me every time we met, “I am still here.”  That meant that she hadn’t given in, though she had often thought how much easier it would be to just give up so that she could be pain-free.  She was referring to taking her own life.  But, she believed that, as long as God chose to let her live, there must be a purpose for her life.  And, she wanted to know what it was and see it accomplished.

It may not make us popular or win us glory or fame.  In fact, Jesus told His disciples, “…all men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm (endures) to the end will be saved (Matt. 10:22; 24:12).”  And, we may be able to help others to be saved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment