Saturday, January 19, 2013

Perfect submission

Third Day, not too long ago, did a remake of "Blessed Assurance," a beatiful hymn with an awesome testimony.  It is a song that calms and soothes in times of stress.  However, there is a line in the song that cause me some consternation.  One of my pet peeves is when I am singing a song, worshipping the Lord, and I come across a line in the song or a statement that just doesn't ring true with me (e.g., "I surrender all."  Sure I do.).  I find it really difficult to continue to sing the song with a straight face.

In the song, Blessed Assurance, there is a line that speaks of "perfect submission."  Oh, how I wish that were true.  It isn't, but it is a goal I am striving for and one that I believe all Christians need to be striving for, as well.  I love this statement by Paul Anderson, a professor at George Fox University, quoted in Ruth Haley Barton's book, "Pursuing God's Will Together," where he says, "One great need of the church today is to experience the dynamic leadership of Christ as its head...The Scriptures promise us that Christ's Spirit will be with us, will guide us, and will lead us into all truth...If Christ is alive He desires to lead His church.  If Christ desires to lead His church, His will should be sought.  If His will can be sought, it can be discerned; and if it can be discerned, it deserves to be obeyed."

Many of us may believe we are doing pretty good and wondering why God's will isn't more clear, or why God isn't blessing us in ways that we feel we deserve.  Maybe we are wondering why we are experiencing some difficulty in our walk, some trial that seems greater than we can bear, in spite of the promises of I Cor. 10:13.

I encounter people every day who have good reason to wonder what God is doing or why it doesn't seem as though He is doing anything.  I find it a challenge to explain well enough that God has a purpose and a plan, even when nothing seems to be going the way we think it should.  Many of these have reached what they believe to be their limit.  I realize that my role is to encourage them to go a little further.  Remember, He who began this work in you will be faithful to complete it.  However, we need to hold on.  We need to hear what the Hebrews heard, that "without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him (Heb. 11:6)."

Let me challenge you, at your more difficult times, when things aren't too clear, when God's will isn't real obvious, when God doesn't seem to be listening, don't give up.  Continue to believe, to trust, to seek His will.  But, don't just think of this as a holding pattern.  At times like this, I think we need to continue to be on the offensive.  Don't just keep doing what you had been doing, do more.  Dont' just practice your usual disciplines, add to them.  Sacrifice more.  Give more time.  Show the enemy and God that you mean business, that you do want God's will in your life, that you want to be perfectly submitted to Him...and expect God's greater rewards.

Godspeed, Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment