Friday, April 12, 2013

Risk it!!

"Two roads diverged..."  You have probably heard this well-known poem by Robert Frost.  It describes so many aspects of our lives.  It certainly applies to some of the decisions we are called to make.  Often, we are confronted with two seemingly equal decisions.  Both appear to be "good" choices.  Either seems as though it could be the direction God would have us to go.

So, how do we choose?

How do we normally choose?  Quite often, we tend towards the familiar, the road we have travelled before and know well.  I like the familiar.  Fewer surprises.  Less risk.  That seems like a good thing.  Sometimes, if I have never been on either road, I consider what I know about each one.  I try to make a reasonable choice.  I weigh the pros and cons.  I consider all the evidence.  I may even consult with an expert, someone who has done a lot of travelling.  Here, I eliminate as much risk as I am able.  Again, seems like the right thing to do.  Right?  After all, am I not a steward of my time, my energy, my resources?  I don't want to waste the opportunity by making the wrong decision.

I like having control.  That usually earns some consideration when I am making decisions.  A lot of people seem to be like me in that respect.  Not being in control often leads to consequences we would just as soon not have to experience.  So, typically, I attempt to control anything that I think is within my power to control.  Oh, I know I need to accept some things that are clearly outside my control.  But, I like the illusion of having some control and being able to keep myself from the consequences.

Often, I find myself making decisions that are mostly about my being able to be "successful."  Again, nothing wrong with wanting to be successful.  Ruth Haley Barton, in "Invitation to Solitude and Silence," comments on the need to place our reputation and success into the hands of God, and act entirely in dependence on God.  Typically, when I act, I am acting based upon decisions that I believe will lead to certain outcomes.  These, also I need to trust God.  Only God can possibly know the future and the outcomes of our decisions with absolute certainty.

Trusting God for successful outcomes does not mean I am to be inactive, Barton comments, but our part "will always be chastened by a sense of who is God--not you!"  It sometimes will mean we act without knowing the outcomes or having any feedback whatsoever.  The only thing that we can know for sure is that God is God, and He is faithful.  Jesus lost many of His followers at a critical juncture in His ministry, because they didn't like the direction they thought He was going.  His disciples didn't continue to follow Him because they knew and understood what He was planning to do.  They followed because the other path, though having less risk, had little else to promise, other than that.  No risk.  But, no risk, no results.  The other road, though less travelled...well, that made all the difference.

Take a risk.

Godspeed, Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment