Sunday, September 29, 2013

Is God always right?

"Nice try, God.  You almost got it right."

I'm joking, right?  Otherwise, that would be blasphemy, me correcting God because He didn't do something right.  The thought of doing so is ridiculous.  This is God.  He is perfect, omniscient, holy in all His ways.  I don't have a foot to stand on; and yet, I am guilty of doing just that, and I imagine you are, too.  Oh, not in so many words.  I'm not stupid enough to come right out and tell God I know better than He does; but, how often have you felt yourself questioning God?  How many times have you rejected His way and insisted on going your own way?  Guilty as charged.  Blasphemer.  Yes, that describes me.  If the shoe fits...

We all know the story of Job, how he lost everything when God let Satan have his way with him.  He lost his wealth, his status, his family, and eventually his health.  He was in terrible pain and suffering and, yet, he didn't blame God.

Job, in spite of all that had taken place, continued to worship God.  "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.  The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised (1:21)."  The Scripture goes on to say, "In all this, Job did not sin."  The book of Job has inspired many, including myself, to see my momentary trials and difficulties from a different perspective.  It has helped me to endure those times and do my best to continue to trust God as Job did.

But, there is another perspective that I wish I could have all of the time, that I don't always.  In what way did Job not sin?  He didn't sin, "by charging God with wrongdoing."  Job didn't just go along with it.  He didn't just endure it and sing, "Que Sera, sera, what will be, will be."  Job didn't just shrug his shoulders and say, "Oh well, what choice do I have, anyway?"  Job accepted what God was doing as right.  He didn't question God's actions.

I don't know about you, but I typically get frustrated, sometimes even discouraged, when things don't go the way I think they should; especially, if it results in my being uncomfortable.  "In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing."  I can't say the same thing about my self.  If I don't understand what God is doing, it bothers me.  If He seems to be taking me in a different direction, I hesitate.  Sometimes, I don't listen and do what I want to do instead.  Whether I am saying it or not, I am challenging the God of whom David writes, "You are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge (Ps. 51:4)."

It doesn't usually occur to me that I am accusing God of wrongdoing, but that is what it comes down to; I don't trust God to always be right.  When God does finally address Job, He asks Job, "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?"  Job's answer, "Surely, I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."  Eventually, I may get around to admitting the same thing; but, I wish I could accept that God is right...all the time, not just when I choose to agree with Him.

Godspeed, Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment