Thursday, November 27, 2014

Raisin Cakes


Today is a day of feasting.  I heard on the radio, most of us will consume a day’s worth of calories at one seating.  Some will partake of as many as 5000 calories, more than 2 days’ worth for some.  It depends on the day, but I am certain that these are conservative estimates of what I hope to accomplish.  This is one day of the year, I do not intend to fast or feel guilt over what I eat.


I have, however, been attempting to fast in a sense over the last 40 days.  I have been trying to say “no” more often to achieve my “greater yes,” which is to turn to God more often.


I love comfort and food is a form of comfort to me.  Inadvertently, I was studying what it meant to truly comfort someone, according to Scripture; and I found there is a Greek word for comfort (as a noun) that bothers me somewhat.  The Greek word is anesis, from which we get our word “anesthesiology.”


Why should this bother me?  Ask me later after your Thanksgiving feast.  How do you feel after consuming all of that incredible food?  I would imagine, like me you will feel somewhat anesthetized.


One day a year is not what I would consider a problem, but it is the fact that day after day I may be taking this anesthesia to deal with the pain or discomfort or stress of the day, rather than turning to the true Comforter for what I need.  And it isn’t just food, there are other things or activities that I may be turning to instead of the Holy Spirit that is available to me.


What does this have to do with raisin cakes?  In Hosea 3:1, God condemns Israel for their worship of other gods and their love for raisin cakes.  Raisin cakes were regarded as luxuries and used as delicacies.  The attraction of idol worship was that it involved a form of sensuality that was appealing to the people of Israel.  Raisin cakes were a part of that particular practice.  God was condemning their turning to other gods and, in particular to those that involved something so sensuous.  I can only imagine how many calories were consumed at one of their worship services.


Today, take a pass.  Tomorrow, or maybe after the leftovers are all consumed, consider…”How do I anesthetize (comfort) myself?”  Jesus left us the Comforter, the paraklete to comfort us and strengthen us for the work He has given us to do.  Let’s take advantage of this.


 


Godspeed, Happy Thanksgiving


Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment