Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Get Fit!

In an effort to get into better shape, I started using an elliptical about a month ago.  The piece of equipment that I use has settings on it for what you want to get out of it.  There are a number of decisions to make that I find strangely similar to the decisions we need to make about our spiritual fitness.

There is, first of all, the decision whether to do things my own way or choose one of the fitness programs available--Toning, Endurance, or Fitness.  I think most of us know how difficult it is to get into shape doing it on our own.  That is true in the development of our faith as well.  It helps to use a program, a Bible study, a devotional guide, a reading plan, or something.  Otherwise, we make very little progress and give up as soon as there is something more alluring to do with our time.

So, I chose a program.  Now, I think I am ready for the Performance setting.  So, I dial that up, only to find out that it involves the highest settings on levels of resistance, speed, and inclination.  It's also 30 minutes long and I don't plan to spend that much time, so I look at the other options.  I probably need to work on endurance, so I choose that.  I quickly find out I don't have what it takes to endure.  Apparently, I need to focus on toning.

Often, in my faith walk, I find myself focusing most of my attention on performing.  Recently, I have been developing a new ministry and been quite anxious to start offering the ministry; only to find God calling me back to toning.  When we are called, sometimes God has to work on us to prepare us to be the instruments He is able to use, to accomplish what He wants to accomplish.

We shouldn't get in too big a hurry to start performing, whether that be performing a ministry, starting a new program, or preaching a sermon.  The majority of our time needs to be devoted to allowing God to tone our spiritual muscles, to get us into shape for what He has in mind for us to do.  The actual performance may only be a small portion of what we actually do.  But, if we want it to accomplish God's purpose, we have to allow Him this opportunity to do what He does best.

"...until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ (Eph. 4:13)."

Godspeed, Phil, just another doulos

No comments:

Post a Comment