Friday, November 23, 2012

"I mean it."

Did you ever hear someone say something similar, as though it added some note of sincerity to what they had just stated, or somehow it was supposed to help you understand they really were being serious?  Or maybe you have used these words yourself when you made some kind of statement or a promise.  "Honest, I mean it.  I really, really, really do...this time."

Well, God said something similar to the children of Israel.  Only, He didn't have to try and make it sound like He really, really meant it.  They knew it.  They knew they had better take God seriously.  Moses records for us the words God spoke to them.

"Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law.  They are not just idle words for you--they are your life (Deut. 32:46-47)!"

The other day I received a text from my daughter after sending her one reminding her she needed to come home from school and do her homework, practice piano, and clean her room.  The text from her read as follows, "Seriously????? And.i already knew all. that stuff."  Both of my children have made it abundantly clear they don't like to be reminded to do things they already know they are supposed to do.  But, apparently the part of the brain that knows what needs to be done isn't communicating to the part of the brain that tells them to actually do it.

As a follower of Christ, I often send God the same message, " I know.  I don't need to be reminded."  And yet, what I know needs to be done isn't always getting done.  Maybe it is because I don't really take God seriously.  Maybe it's because the consequences don't always seem to follow immediately after the transgression.  Maybe it's because I take God's grace for granted.  Maybe I just don't appreciate that these words, His words, are the source of life for me.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life.  No man comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6)."  If I really want the life that He has to offer, I need to take Him seriously.  I really think He meant what He said.  Don't you?

Godspeed, Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment