Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pay attention!

Do you remember your teachers saying this?  When we are younger, early in our school years, we need these kind of prompts.  Otherwise, our attention is all over the place.  Attention is a skill that is developed and it is developed sequentially.  First, a child learns to put their attention on something, often as a response to directions from our teachers or parents or others.  As our brains mature, we learn to put our attention on something and to keep it there,  We learn to sustain our attention long enough to learn whatever we are being taught or able to experience.  That is how we learn what others are trying to teach us.  Finally, we need to be able to put our attention on something, sustain our attention, and to do so without being distracted.  How are we doing so far?

Ruth Haley Barton ("Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership") states, "Learning to pay attention and kowing what to pay attention to is a key discipline for leaders but one that rarely comes naturally to those of us who are barreling through life with our eyes fixed on a goal."

She goes on to say, "Many of us are choosing to live lives that do not set us up to pay attention, to notice those places where God is at work and to ask ourselves what these things mean."

Ex. 3:1-3--"Moses was shepherding the flock of Jethro, his father-in-law, the priest of Midian...The angel of God appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush.  Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.  So Moses thought, 'I will go over and see this strange sight--why the bush does not burn up.'"

Have you noticed that God has a sense for the theatrical.  He could have spoken to Mose as He speaks to many of us, through a song sung by a choir during worship, or from a passage of Scripture read during a quiet time, or in the middle of a conversation, perhaps with Jethro.  But, God wanted Moses' attention.  And, He got it.

For the rest of us, it isn't that easy.  I doubt God is going to light up any bushes because I don't have any in my yard.  Besides, if He did, the fire department would be right out and I would be cited for an uncontained fire.  When God wanted Moses' attention, He didn't want an audience.  He didn't want any distraction.  He wanted Moses to focus.  He wanted Moses to know that it was God talking to him.  He wanted Moses' full attention and He knew what it would take.

When God speaks to us, He wants our attention.  How often do we put ourselves in a place where there are no distractions, where we can put our attention on God, hear what He has to say to us, understand what He is doing, and see where He is at work?  Are there regular times in your schedules for when you meet with God and give Him your attention, times of solitude and silence?

Again, Barton states, "At the heart of spiritual leadership is the capacity to notice the activity of God so we can join Him in it."  If we are not spending quality time with God, listening as He speaks to us of His will and the work He is doing, how do we know what to do from one day to the next?  I see between 7 and 10 individuals a day in my office, all of them wanting to know what God would have them to understand, what He is doing, or what He plans to do.  After awhile, the flesh becomes weak, the mind begins to go numb, and I could easily go on autopilot.  But, each of these persons deserves my attention, and they are hoping that I have something to share with them that comes from God, that will bring them peace, hope, joy.  Before I even meet with them, I need to go before the Lord and give Him my attention.  I need to hear from Him before I speak to them.

But, I also need regular times where I come before the Lord and give Him my attention, times when I try to get away from all the distractions.  I want to see what God is doing, where He is at work, to discern His will for me.  To do so, I have to put my attention on Him, keep it on Him, and not allow any distractions.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment